Classification of animals on the Reef
STEMLinc Video Conferencing: Discover the diversity of animals found on the Great Barrier Reef, one of the most biologically diverse ecosystems on the planet. Gain an understanding of how taxonomic classification is used for identifying animals and the hierarchical system and scientific conventions for naming species. Students will use the physical similarities and differences of particular features to group the different Reef organisms. Join the team from Reef HQ live from Townsville, for an engaging lesson tailored to the Victorian Curriculum.
Booking Options: There are two options for the Reef HQ suite of programs:
1. Fixed STEMLinc dates/times for booking this event will appear each term in the table below.
2. Schools with a minimum of 3 classes wishing to book alternate dates should contact Reef HQ directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) to negotiate a suitable date and time. Ecolinc will cover the costs for a limited number of alternate date bookings each term.
Year Level: 7-8
Duration: 1 hour
STEM in a box: No.
The following video resources are available:
- Classifying Reef Creatures – Introduction to Classification
- Classifying Reef Creatures- Phylum Mollusca
- Classifying Reef Creatures – Phylum Porifera
- Classifying Reef Creatures – Phylum Platyhelminthes
- Classifying Reef Creatures – Phylum Annelida
- Classifying Reef Creatures – Phylum Arthropoda
- Classifying Reef Creatures – Phylum Echinodermata
- Classifying Reef Creatures – Phylum Chordata
- Classifying Reef Creatures – Phylum Cnidaria
Please see Classification of Reef Creatures for more program details and links to additional reference materials.
Background Information: The Great Barrier Reef, extends for over 2,300 kilometres (1429 miles) along the north-eastern coast of Australia and is home to over 9,000 known species. In this lesson, students will engage in classification of commonly found marine animals on the Great Barrier Reef.
Prior Knowledge: No prior knowledge required
In this video conference students will: .
- Develop an understanding of what classification is
- Appreciate why we classify Reef animals and its importance
- Learn about the major groupings of animals on the Reef
In this video conference students will:
- Test their knowledge in an interactive classification activity
- Interact with presenters and be able ask individual questions
- Have access to supporting materials for pre- and/or post-event study
Science – Biological science
- There are differences within and between groups of organisms; classification helps organise this diversity (VCSSU091)
IMPORTANT: Cancellation Policy
- When you book you will receive an automated message from Eventbrite. Save this carefully please.
- Any cancellations need to be received in time for STEMLinc to re-sell your tickets to other teachers.
- Please use the Eventbrite confirmation email to facilitate any cancellation of your booking. That will automatically release your ticket for re-sale on our system.
|Date and Time||Ticket available||Booking link|
|Tue 01/11/2022 |
12:00 PM - 01:00 PM
|6||Click to book|
|Thu 03/11/2022 |
12:00 PM - 01:00 PM
|5||Click to book|
|Term||Lesson Date/time||Click to book (Note 1 ticket = a class of 25 students)|