(Yrs 9-11)Disposable: Reimagining your waste…August 8th 11AM-12PM
August 8 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Age Group: Year 9 – 11 students from Victoria.
Would you drink water that was recycled from urine? Would you wash with sewer soap? Can worms solve the plastic problem? This interactive video conference presented by Science Gallery Melbourne will take students on a journey to reimagine their waste.
Working alongside leading scientists, artists and University STEM students, we are inviting Victorian high school students to virtually visit campus to investigate cutting edge innovations to repurpose our rubbish, and get up close and personal with emerging ecologies that are thriving on the stuff we throw out. Join the trash to treasure revolution!
Science Gallery Melbourne is a new and innovative place exploring the collision of science, art and technology. This August Science Gallery Melbourne will hold their third and final pop up season on the theme of DISPOSABLE before opening officially in 2020. Part of the acclaimed Global Science Gallery Network, and embedded in the University of Melbourne, will be a dynamic new model for engaging 15+ year olds with STEM.
In this video conference students will;
- Reflect and respond to real life examples of cross disciplinary innovations to solve sustainability challenges, specifically;
- The potential of urine to charge a battery
- The societal, scientific and political challenges and opportunities when recycling water from urine.
- Emerging and evolving ecosystems in gut microbes in insects and their potential to convert plastics into organic, compostable materials.
- Students will hear from University of Melbourne scientists, engineers and artists working collaboratively to solve real life problems.
Learn more about Science Gallery: https://melbourne.sciencegallery.com/
Numbers are strictly limited! One class of 25 students per registered school.
|Available Dates||Session Times
|Year Level Target||Cost?|
|August 8th||11am -12 pm & 2-3pm||9-11||Free|
How do I dial in?
Once your booking has been confirmed you will be sent the dial-in details. You will be able to access from your classroom by projecting your laptop onto your whiteboard or using a Polycom mobile monitor if you have one. The dial in details can be used by:
- CISCO Webex (Victorian schools/teachers have access to Webex)
- Skype for Office (Victorian schools/teachers have access to Skype for Office)
How can I use the new DET CISCO Webex on my own teacher laptop?
- Ecolinc will provide an easy-to-follow details to get you started. Click here for full details.
- All Victorian government school teachers can access CISCO now
August 8th 11am-12 pm Book through Eventbrite here
August 8th 2-3 pm Book through Eventbrite here