STEMLINC video conferencing: Learn about Sustainability through political cartoons, animation and advertising. Students will be supported in developing their Media Literacy skills and have the opportunity to create their own visual media pieces around leadership and taking sustainable action. Students will explore heritage spaces within our building to discuss the role of the media in our democracy and consider how young people can be involved as engaged and informed members of the community.
Year Level: 5 – 6
Duration: 1 hour
STEM in a box: No but an activity pack with instructions for creating your Leadership Cartoon and a selection of images to analyse will be sent out.
MoAD (the Museum of Australian Democracy) is located in the spiritual home of Australian democracy—Old Parliament House. At MoAD Learning we engage and inform young citizens, empowering them to use their voice and agency. Our digital excursions allow your students to investigate their role in our democracy by exploring historic spaces, participating in engaging interactive activities and developing their critical thinking, Media Literacy and STEM skills. We encourage students to use the inquiry approach to investigate and explore opportunities for environmental change, and to learn how they can use their voice to make a difference.
No prior Knowledge is required.
- develop their Media Literacy skills to discuss techniques used by political cartoonists and advertisers
- apply their understanding to create their own political cartoon
- consider how types of media can be used to inform, entertain and persuade
- discuss, question and imagine ways they can be informed and engaged within our democratic system to support sustainability
In this video conference students will:
- discuss the role of the media in our democracy
- explore heritage spaces within our building
- participate in the creation of a collaborative cartoon around Leadership
- unpack a range of media types to develop their critical thinking skills
- design their own Leadership cartoon around Sustainability
English – Reading and viewing
- Use comprehension strategies to analyse information, integrating and linking ideas from a variety of print and digital sources (VCELY319)
- Analyse the text structures and language features used in imaginative, informative and persuasive texts to meet the purpose of the text (VCELY320)
English – Writing
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive print and multimodal texts, choosing text structures, language features, images and sound appropriate to purpose and audience (VCELY329)
Science – Science inquiry skills
- Communicate ideas and processes using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena and to identify simple cause-and-effect relationships (VCSIS088)
IMPORTANT: Cancellation Policy
- When you book you will receive an automated message from Eventbrite. Save this carefully please.
- Any cancellations need to be received in time for STEMLinc to re-sell your tickets to other teachers.
- Please use the Eventbrite confirmation email to facilitate any cancellation of your booking. That will automatically release your ticket for re-sale on our system.
|Date and Time||Ticket available||Booking link|
|Tue 28/03/2023 |
02:00 PM - 03:00 PM
|1||Click to book|
|Term||Lesson Date/time||Click to book (Note 1 ticket = a class of 25 students)|