A Bushland Eggstravaganza
STEMLinc Video Conferencing: The Easter Bilby needs your help! Australia is a huge country and we need to organise the delivery of all of the Easter eggs. In this video conference, the students are going to learn about some of the various native wildlife that could help deliver Easter eggs throughout Australia. In the end each student will decide which native wildlife they believe would be best for this important task. Students will have the opportunity to draw an Australian animal delivering Easter eggs.
(Image: BBC Science Photo Library)
Year Level: F – 2
Duration: 1 hour
STEM in a box: No. A number of attachments you receive will need to be printed off.
We are a nation with adorable looking animals such as koalas, bilbies and possums. Bilbies may not give birth to huge litters of joeys – but they are certainly nocturnal, very cute and could fit some Easter eggs in those pouches. Monotremes, egg laying mammals found only in Australia, such as the famed and elusive Platypus and Echidna could certainly be Easter mascots. Easter Echidna sounds catchy. Although the platypus would be more suited for a flooded Easter celebration.
Lets re-write the narrative of Easter to include some of our weird and wonderful Australian species – to create a culture of positive awareness around our native wildlife, including threatened species. Let’s create some new customs to celebrate our unique Australian animals, especially those endangered species. Our own wildlife can become an integrated part of an Australian cultural celebration.
No prior knowledge necessary.
In this program students will:
- compare and contrast various Australian animals
- consider various habitats throughout Australia and which Australian animals live in those habitats
- consider the needs of those Australian animals – food (diet), water, shelter
- compare observations and make predictions with other students about which Australian animal would be most suitable to deliver Easter eggs
In this video conference students will:
- respond to and pose questions, and make predictions about suitable Australian animals to deliver Easter eggs
- participate in guided investigations, including making observations, using the senses, to explore and answer questions about suitable Australian animals to deliver Easter eggs
- discuss – how these Australian animals move, how these animals could carry the Easter eggs and what else the animals will need to complete the task
- draw & label an Australian animal carrying Easter eggs in their habitat
Science – Biological sciences
- Living things have a variety of external features and live in different places where their basic needs, including food, water and shelter, are met (VCSSU042)
- The way objects move depends on a variety of factors including their size and shape: a push or a pull affects how an object moves or changes shape (VCSSU048)
Science – Planning and conducting
- Participate in guided investigations, including making observations using the senses, to explore and answer questions (VCSIS051)
Science – Communicating
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas about changes in objects and events in a variety of ways (VCSIS055)
Capabilities – Questions and possibilities
- Identify, describe and use different kinds of question stems to gather information and ideas (VCCCTQ001)
- Make simple modifications to known ideas and routine solutions to generate some different ideas and possibilities (VCCCTQ003)
Capabilities – Reasoning
- Compare and contrast information and ideas in own and others reasoning (VCCCTR005)
Capabilities – Meta-Cognition
- Investigate ways to problem-solve, using egocentric and experiential language (VCCCTM009)
IMPORTANT: Cancellation Policy
- When you book you will receive an automated message from Eventbrite. Save this carefully please.
- Any cancellations need to be received in time for STEMLinc to re-sell your tickets to other teachers.
- Please use the Eventbrite confirmation email to facilitate any cancellation of your booking. That will automatically release your ticket for re-sale on our system.
|Date and Time||Ticket available||Booking link|
|Term||Lesson Date/time||Click to book (Note 1 ticket = a class of 25 students)|