You, Me and Sustainability (Middle Primary)
STEMLINC video conferencing: Investigate how we can create positive change in our classrooms, schools or local communities by making more sustainable choices. Students will have the opportunity to explore heritage spaces, examine the use of single-use and soft plastics in our daily lives and learn about young leaders who are making a difference. Through discussion and real-world examples students will design solutions around issues they are passionate about. (Image: Museum of Democracy)
Year Level: 3 – 4 (Tailored for a junior audience)
Duration: 1 hour
STEM in a box: No, but a rubric handout will be sent through for use during the lesson.
Background Information: MoAD (the Museum of Australian Democracy) is located in the spiritual home of Australian democracy—Old Parliament House. At MoAD Learning we engage and inform young citizens, empowering them to use their voice and agency. Our digital excursions allow your students to investigate their role in our democracy by exploring historic spaces, participating in engaging interactive activities and developing their critical thinking, historical inquiry and STEM skills. We encourage students to use the inquiry approach to investigate and explore opportunities for change, and to learn how they can use their voice to make a difference.
No prior knowledge is required.
In this program students will:
- discuss, question and imagine ways they can make a difference within our democratic system
- consider simple changes they can make to support sustainability
- learn how important their voice can be in making change
In this video conference students will:
- discuss how their voice can be heard within our democracy
- explore heritage spaces within the MoAD building
- participate in discussions around sustainable materials and making sustainable choices
- hear from young people making positive changes for our environment
- use STEM thinking and the inquiry process to evaluate their own lunchbox and consider one change they could make
Science – Science as a human endeavour
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effects of their actions (VCSSU056)
Science – Earth and space sciences
- Earth’s surface changes over time as a result of natural processes and human activity (VCSSU062)
IMPORTANT: Cancellation Policy
- When you book you will receive an automated message from Eventbrite. Save this carefully please.
- Any cancellations need to be received in time for STEMLinc to re-sell your tickets to other teachers.
- Please use the Eventbrite confirmation email to facilitate any cancellation of your booking. That will automatically release your ticket for re-sale on our system.
|Date and Time||Ticket available||Booking link|
|Mon 23/10/2023 |
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
|Mon 20/11/2023 |
12:00 PM - 01:00 PM
|Term||Lesson Date/time||Click to book (Note 1 ticket = a class of 25 students)|